Monday, January 11, 2010

Heaven is the Highway


Here it is folks, the official Del Barber tour blog, thoughts that come straight from the wandering mind of an amateur singer-songwriter/storyteller who is trying to make some kind of a living doing what he loves. I sell soul. I hang myself and my community out to dry, and I quite enjoy it.

Last night was stop number 4 out of 35 on the tour, Calgary Alberta -the ironwood stage and grill. It was a brilliant night of music... The venue found an opener for the show last minuet (always a weird proposition) The obvious problem with opening acts is that you never really know what you're going to get... There is a lot of bullshit out there... Anyway, some dude walks into the bar up with a big ol' beard hanging off his face, plugs in his guitar and starts singing these real lonesome tunes. He wins me over before the first chord. I'm a tough sell too, a bit of a critical prick I guess. It was one of those weird deals that you never expect.

Sometimes the truth of songs gets transmitted through raw disposition, almost like you can tell by looking at someone, just by the way they carry themselves, that they will be putting something fine on the table, not just saw dust or marshmallows.

His name is Cam Penner, his tunes have grit, and soul, and as far as I can tell the man is an honest writer. What more could you ask music from music but honesty? Anyway I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I really hope you check him out.

My set was alright last night too, Despite my initial nervousness to play after Cam's fine set. It ended up being pretty easy; probably because armfuls of old friends kept showing up with big smiles and stories that I had long forgotten. Anyway, they made me feel like a king.

My tongue was pretty damn loose last night though. Maybe I shouldn't have taken in the number of beers that I did; so forgive me if my mouth got the best of me. I'm not always in the mood to apologize for it so drink it in, the moment is fleeting.

I already miss home, the loneliness of the road is setting in. It's a feeling that I've learned to cherish. The romance of it all doesn't interest me too much anymore. Pragmatically, loneliness teaches me to remember my roots, to practice the act of narrating what home is, where and what my roots are reaching towards...

Two nights ago I got to play a house concert in Riding mountain at the Davar house. I can't believe how gracious some people are. Shit...I have a lot to learn in that regard. I'll write some more about that show in my next post, I want to spend some time wondering about it some more. Something happened in my psyche that night. I'm a different man somehow.

Anyway, I'm going to end these silly posts with a lyric or verse from someone good. seems like a fine way to put a period on these ramblings.

Here is part of Cowboy Junkies Lament by Texas legend Townes Van Zandt:

Baby hit the back door breathin' real heavy

said the boys in the alley wouldn't leave her alone

Mama did her make-up in a terrible hurry


She finally got ready but the boys were gone


Mama don't you worry, night's aproachin'


there's a hole in heaven where some sin slips through


Close your eyes and dream real steady


maybe just a little will spill on you




The dark don't lie


and dreams come true


could be a few will see you through



Till next time,

Del

No comments:

Post a Comment