Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The pocket of God.

God puts on her skinny Levis one leg at a time. This week I'm in God's pocket.

I've been writing songs for a while now.... coming on 10 years. I can honestly say that I've written a few songs that I'm proud of. A few strong songs that (I hope) actually say something. More than wordy masturbation or vague poetic musings.... I hope my writing has something at stake, has a reason.

I don't understand Arcade Cryer, Broken Social Bean or Mumford and Bums. I'm sure that there's many a good reason why so many folks love those bands. But I don't get it, and frankly sometimes it worries me.

It's the same reason I never got bit by the Beatles bug. Even a song like "imagine" as pretty as it is... it doesn't make sense to me... It doesn't seem to say anything important at all. I dare you to compare "Imagine" to Springsteen's "The River" or any other song by the Boss... I don't want you to know just how much destain I have for the Beatles... so I'll leave this tangent before I make my agents mad again... :)

What I'm trying to say, is that this past week some of my worry has been eroded. I can't tell you how much jump this puts in my step.

I've been opening up shows for Matt Andersen.... We've been making our way to the west coast. I've been watching people flock to hear him, I've been hearing them talk about how many times they've seen him play... how far they had to drive, how much they love him. It's a beautiful thing to be a part of.

The man writes songs that people understand. He is accessible... not to mention that he can play the hell out of the guitar and work a crowd like a pro. He doesn't give a damn about coolness. He is who he is, no pretence.

I've been playing short sets, half hour or there-a-bouts, giving people a taste of my tunes and my stories... I've had the most unbelievable response...

This is the first tour I've been on where I'm actually making money. No, it's not all about the money, but sometimes it's a pretty good indicator that people like what they hear, and are willing to shell out to support it.

It blows my mind that people spend their hard earned cash on my records.

I just wanted to tell the world that I'm thankful and hopeful. Thankful that I can pay my rent, and my credit cards; hopeful that I just might be able to carve out a little piece of the musical landscape. It might be an illusion... but it seems pretty real in the here and now.

If you're taking the time to read this bullshit, thanks to you as well. Really.

I'm making another full-length record in november... I'll tell you more about it soon.

I'm sure I'll bitch and moan endlessly on my next post.... For now, just Thanks.

It's warm inside God's pocket... there's just enough light to see.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Del, thanks for a great read--keep rockin' but take care of yourself as well as you take care of the music. Cheers/Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Third country..the Borderlands, beckon..Be safe on life's highway.The music speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something beautiful about almost all music, my friend (except Nickelback and Celine Dion, of course, who are evil incarnate.) I'll stand up for the power of them Beatles records (it's the Stones I don't get at all), but it won't make you wrong or me write. We're passionate folk and we like what we like. Good thing I like you and you like to be liked.

    The good news is that folks are still caring about music and still buying it. Matt Andersen is living proof that the good ones do get noticed. It took him a lot of roads, a lot of bad gigs, and 10 or so albums to get to this point, so stay on the ride and wait to see where it takes you. I know I'll be watching.

    Now go write a new song, or better yet, come up with some new stories - I'm getting tired of a couple of 'em. I still laugh, though.

    Keep at 'er,

    JR

    ReplyDelete